I don’t like the gym. Never did, never will. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the trainer at my first gym crashed my culinary junk dreams when he gave me the following advice if you want to stay fit, NEVER eat bacon again. Naturally I did what every sane person would do, I quit that gym.
In the following years I made it my goal to try and recreate some recipes that are still full of flavour but without the unhealthy fats. And the next recipe is all about that.
homemade chicken deli
4-5 skinless chicken breasts
Tatu’s spice blend
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven at 190 C
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels
- Rub the chicken with some olive oil and season it generously with the spices.
- Heat a large non stick frying pan on medium high and brown the chicken on all sides without adding any extra olive oil. This will take about two minutes per side.
- Place the chicken breasts, one next to the other without leaving any space (to maximize juiciness) in a bread loaf pan and drizzle with some extra olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven, cover with aluminium foil and let sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice according to your liking (my preference is paper thin)
- If you don’t have a non stick frying pan use a little more olive oil to avoid the chicken from getting burned.
- You can use turkey or even pork tenderloin instead (adjust baking time accordingly)